Saturday 7 February 2015

Spacenet #1.. Small beginnings

After seeing Andy Lewis rig the craziest spacenet mankind had 
ever seen my thoughts have blurred into one long daydream,
I must have been inspired because out of nowhere I found myself 
researching the strength reducing factors of knots and watching
30 minute long Paracord net weaving tutorials..

So I built one...

To start off I worked out my dimensions using three equal length roundslings
in a triangle and with the help of a few tutorials figured out 300ft of 550 Paracord
would be enough with a bit left over, I found UK based company Wild Elk online 
selling 100ft hanks for £6 with £4 delivery.. basically £22 for a spacenet..


I couldn't weave the net outside as I work all week and have no daylight
when I finish and the recent weekend winter weather has been ridiculous
so I built a frame so I could rig indoors and not worry about my lack of sun..
 

The top edge I created girth hithches that could be slipped off the nails and slid
onto a spanset, the downward edges were left free to be knotted the night before..

The net was over-sized in the end and would suit larger spansets, 
we used 2x EQB Canons and an LC Lynx (double wrapped) as the anchor points..

After raising the net and adding some pretension to the white legs we then tied 3
backup ropes to a master ring and hand tensioned them ready for the final pulls.. 


Jon taking a break after we had finished adding all the tension..

       
Click the link for my edit
and footage of the 'Line Launcher' in action..

No comments:

Post a Comment